Thursday 27 March 2014

Sketches of face paint designs

I am taking a lot of influence from The Jester by Kirk Quilaquil. Primarily the face paint design. I have thought a lot about the designs and decided to sketch them.

At first I was thinking about the suits in a pack of cards and I saw that the design from Jester was very precise, it looked like it was done professionally. Therefore I kept to this generalisation. I really like the solid lines because it really stands out. However I dislike the suit logos because they don't flow with the lines.




Here I have experimented with very rough edges that blend in with the skin whilst keeping some of the similarities like make up around the eyes and mouth. The cracking of the face paint was influenced by the Joker played by Heath Ledger in the Batman movie 'The Dark Night'. I like this because its a little different and the crying face shows the opposite of how a jester or clown should feel. I feel that this is very controversial about entertainers. On the other hand I think that this may be to hard to achieve considering my own abilities and it struggles to reflect work of a researched accurately.


I am going to revisit using solid lines.


I really like this design. It follows three main aspects of the face including both eyes and the nose; it then seems to frame the lips in between the lines coming from the eyes. The lips and around the eye is also black. This design is very simple but it is very appealing because it sparks a reaction. It makes the viewer feel a little uneasy; possibly frightened. I am going to use this design on my photo shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment